InstituteEventsThe original motion picture soundtrack for the much-anticipated Yesterday film is out today. The film, directed by the Oscar-winning Danny Boyle, imagines a world in which only one man in the world remembers the work of The Beatles.
The soundtrack to the Beatles' inspired film has been composed by award-winning composer Daniel Pemberton (Spider-Verse: Into the Spider-Verse, Ocean’s 8, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.), recorded at Abbey Road across Studio One, Two and Three and mastered by our own Frank Arkwright.
The tracklist includes new versions of The Beatles’ most beloved music, performed by the film’s star Himesh Patel (including a duet version of I Want To Hold Your Hand performed by Patel & Lily James).
Behind-the-scenes of Yesterday
Thank you to Daniel Pemberton for providing images from the Yesterday sessions in Studio Two.Daniel spoke to us about the importance of recording the soundtrack in the same place the songs were originally recorded:
"I always love recording at Abbey Road whatever the project but there has possibly been none more suited than 'Yesterday'. To be recording new versions of some of the greatest songs ever written from inside the very room they were first made was a really lifetime magical moment.
Throughout the project I have tried to honour the spirit, the sound and the ethos of The Beatles and I cannot think of any other place on earth to do that other than Abbey Road. What a privilege it has been to find a new way to honour some of the greatest art ever made from inside the walls of the very place it first emerged into all our lives."
Abbey Road's recording team played a vital role throughout the sessions, where Daniel made use of our three main studios. Sessions for the soundtrack were engineered by Sam Okell, Paul Pritchard, Lewis Jones and Matt Jones, alongside assistant engineers Dan Hayden, Freddie Light and Neil Dawes.
Yesterday - Live At Abbey RoadWatch a live rendition of The Beatles' classic, Yesterday performed by the film's star, Himesh Patel. Featuring the film’s composer, Daniel Pemberton on piano, the performance was recorded in Studio One and engineered by Abbey Road's Paul Pritchard and assistant engineer George Oulton.
Yesterday tracklistTake a look at the full tracklist below.
1. Yesterday – From the Film Yesterday
2. The World is Universal (Universal Fanfare)
3. Summer Song – From the Film Yesterday
4. Interlude I: A Day in The Life
5. I Saw Her Standing There – Tracks On The Tracks Sessions
6. Something – From the album One Man Only
7. Let It Be – From the album One Man Only
8. Interlude II: Strawberries
9. Carry That Weight – From the Film Yesterday
10. Here Comes the Sun – From the album One Man Only
11. The Long & Winding Road – Recorded Backstage
12. Interlude III: Gorleston Beach
13. Help! – Live At Pier Hotel
14. Yesterday – From the album One Man Only
15. She Loves You – Tracks On The Tracks Sessions
16. A Hard Day’s Night – From the album One Man Only
17. Something – From the Film Yesterday
18. In My Life – From the album One Man Only
19. Interlude IV: Train Tracks
20. I Want to Hold Your Hand – Tracks On The Tracks Sessions
21. Back in the USSR – Live At Wembley
22. All You Need Is Love – Live At Wembley
23. Interlude V: Yesterday’s Rain
24. The Long & Winding Road – From the album One Man Only
25. Hey Jude – From the album One Man Only
26. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da – Live At Cleves School
27. Interlude VI – Life Goes On
Stream and purchase the soundtrack now.